Give your wardrobe a fresh start. It is time to tackle the clothes closet, and this can be a daunting task for some of us. Remember to keep the process simple. I use five boxes or category. Keep, Toss, Donate, Sell and Considering.
Here are my necessary steps of the decluttering process.
- My first step is to empty the clothes closet. Place all the clothes on the bed.
- Clean the shelves.
- Start sorting, one piece at a time. Sort through the clothing into five categories. Keep, Toss, Sell, Donate or to be Considered.
- Next, I organize my closet using baskets or boxes to hold similar clothes such as underwear, swimsuits, and so on. Then I keep like items together and arrange them neatly onto the shelves or hang them up.
Some tips I’ve learnt along the way:
- Standardize all the hangers for a clean look.
- Get a second opinion from a spouse or friend for clothes you are not sure whether to keep or donate. I find it helpful to have my husband to help me with some discussion. I’ll ask him if that blouse or style suits me. Sometimes I ask my children and trust me, they always give their honest opinion, and this helps me to decide.
- Allow yourself to keep a few pieces of sentimental memorabilia till the time you are ready to part with it. Consider keeping a photo of the piece rather than the actual clothes.
Decluttering is a process. If you are new to decluttering, it takes time to learn to let things go. Every round you declutter, you will begin to find it more manageable.